Thursday, December 31, 2009

The life of a bra...

As I am roughly a week into a three week transcontinental trip, I have occasionally reflected on one specific item which got packed: a dainty red bra.

This specific red bra has a memory. It was early in what ended up being the last attempt of monogamy I presume to ever have. I was shopping with some girlfriends and came across this red bra and pantie set which was adorable and sexy, lacy and elegant; somewhat flirtatious, yet never overbearing. In my memory, this was the first lingerie set that was more classy than trashy, I suppose a coming-of-age in the life of a young woman. Between the three of us, it was the only thing purchased that evening, and I carried it in the bag as we finished the night with shrimp cocktails and mimosas, and later, decadent chocolate cake.

I remember the first time I wore these for this boy - our relationship was still relatively fresh and I was still attempting to seem "put together" and would often wear matching lingerie. (Oh, who am I kidding, deep down I'm a sucker for matching lingerie, and will wear it for no occasion at all - but lets just keep that our secret and let the boys believe it is to make them feel special) The first time I wore this was for our Christmas date - some time between Christmas and New Years - a good night of unwrapping presents and unwrapping each other.

Now I suppose it is obvious that things did not work out between the two of us. For a long time, this bra went into low circulation, and would only be worn when there was a need for a deep red undergarment. Gradually, the frequency of wear increased, but the memory always lingered, even to this day; each time I put it on, the memories of "the good times," and subsequently "the bad times," with this boy refresh in my mind. Mind you, these thoughts are merely fleeting, but they are there nonetheless.

No matter how many time I've worn it for however many subsequent bedfellows, the memory of him still lingers on the lace.

The Frugal Fannie in me just won't let it go - come on, I spent good money on this, and it still offers support in the right places, and really, a good red bra is always needed. Well in all honesty, it is not my only red bra, and the support isn't that great anymore. But I hold onto it, and occasionally wonder why I do. Is it the "what could have beens," or the frugality mentality?

Either way, I think I've decided that it is time to part with this little red bra. Consider this the epitaph of an old friend with a long and sorted history.

No comments:

Post a Comment